“Tis the season: cough, cough; sniffle, sniffle” Immunity Tips
Can you believe it’s Mid-October! The weather is finally breaking here on the east coast. You know–that funny time of year where you don’t know if you should put your tank tops and flip flops away and bring out your booties and sweaters… Yup–THAT time of year has finally arrived. I go outside and the brisk weather hits me. I suddenly feel the need for a sweater, cardigan, or light jacket. While at the same time, the sun is shining so bright that the heat from the rays reminds me, it was JUST summer a few weeks ago. If you’re like me and enjoy this time of year you were probably elated to hear the words: It’s officially hoody and scarf season! In my last post, I talked about change. Now that the weather has finally changed… it’s also time to admit it’s flu and cold season-something I am not so excited to hear and witness!
Tis the season where your co-workers are coming in coughing, your kids are coming home sneezing and sniffling, and you question your life expectancy at any sign of a stomach ache, headache, or bowel irregularity. (hey, just keeping it real here). It’s that time of year to boost your immunity. As a Latina, I grew up with many superstitions or home remedies to help aid when sick. I can’t tell you if any of them actually worked or had any evidence based research to back up the methods my mom or friend’s mom would use. As I grew up and began my healthier life-style I came across some natural everyday ingredients and products that we are not aware has many immune boosting benefits and no, I am not talking about oranges and Vicks Vapor Rub.
There are so many different homeopathic remedies to assist with immunity boost. So, I am going to share with you some of the products and remedies I personally use to help me stay well! Before I give my list, I want to first and foremost provide a disclaimer. I am not a doctor or a nurse. I repeat, I am not a doctor! I am providing you with a list of items that have assisted with my own immunity boosting. I strongly urge you to seek medical treatment if you feel ill. Most of the items on my list will only help with immunity if you begin to implement them into your lifestyle on a routine basis. I encourage you to do your own research and ensure that none of these interact with any other chemicals or products you are currently prescribed or using. Always read labels and ingredients of anything you are intaking. I would love to hear from you. So, I invite you to connect with me and let me know of any remedies or products you are using to help boost your immunity this season.
Here’s my list:
- Oranges: The ye ole’ remedy is high in Vitamin C which is an antioxidant that can help fight off infections and many other health benefits. If you are allergic to fruit, try taking a vitamin C supplement or vitamin found in any pharmacy or vitamin shop. Orange juice can also be a substitute, but often times orange juice is high in sugar so unless you’re juicing your own, I say stick with the main source.
- Ginger root: Ground ginger or piece of raw, fresh, ginger root can be taken when feeling ill. It helps with nausea, gas, and has even been noted to help as an anti-inflammatory. Be sure to research how much of this one can intake as high quantities is not recommended. I normally cut some slices and put in an herbal tea or eat about one quarter ounce piece. I have also put some slices into home-made soup (see recipe below). You can also find ginger candy at some health food stores. I also like to have it on my sushi!
- Herbal Teas: There are various herbal teas that will help with immunity boost. Be sure to research the tea you are drinking. I specifically use green tea with matcha (fortifies immune system), peppermint tea, and longevity tea. Some teas with Echinacea (reduces cold/flu symptoms and boosts immunity: this can be taken as a vitamin too) are also beneficial. You can also choose to add honey (can reduce cough/throat irritation), limes (can assist with respiratory issues), lemons (high in vitamins), ground or raw ginger, ground cinnamon (yummy), and/or ground cumin (many health benefits including immunity boost) to your tea for added benefits.
- Hot Toddy: (not a thotty lol) A hot toddy is an Irish drink. Ingredients: steeped tea, your favorite scotch, brandy, or bourbon (pick one!), honey, and lemon. MMMM! (be sure the alcohol doesn’t interact with any other medication). This has helped me with a sour throat or when I have had a raspy voice.
- Essential oils: peppermint oil: You can apply to your temples for headache relief or place under your nose nostrils to assist with a stuffy nose.
- Coconut oil pullings: This is something I started doing and need to continue to make it a habit. You take a shot of coconut oil and swirl it lightly around your mouth for 5-10 min every day first thing in the morning. Not only does this help clear any bacteria in your mouth but it also helps with teeth whitening. As we all know, coconut oil has many health benefits! I seem to increase my oil pulling routines whenever I feel a cold coming on.
- Apple cider vinegar: Take a shot of diluted apple cider vinegar #ACV or a spoonful. Like coconut oil, ACV has many health benefits. It can help clear a stuffy nose and sooth a sore throat among other benefits.
- Zinc: Zinc can be taken as a throat lozenge or as a vitamin. It can also be found in many homeopathic medicines often times alongside Echinacea and even with elderberry. Zinc, like Echinacea, has been known to have immune boosting properties.
- Elderberry: Is an antioxidant that has benefits of improving cold and flu symptoms. Elderberry can be taken as a vitamin, juice, or found in homeopathic medicines and lozenges.
- Epsom salt w/ lavender: Relax! Take a bath and soak in Epsom salt to alleviate body aches, soreness, and headaches. Be sure to stay hydrated before, during, and after: and don’t oversoak! Try adding a few small drops of peppermint oil to your bath water to help cleanse your soul.. just kidding, not your soul but that’s what it will feel like.
- High-Quality H2O aka Water: Speaking of Hydration! Drink lots of water if you are feeling ill or have a headache coming on. Feel free to grab some Smart Water or any other water with electrolytes especially if you have been vomiting or have diarrhea (I know, I know, TMI).
- If you’re feeling under the weather, try taking some deep breaths, join a yoga class, or go to your local gym or spa sauna.
Here are few of my go-to products whenever I feel a cold or sickness coming on:
- Amy’s: No Chicken Noodle Soup
- Pho Vietnamese Noodle soup
- doTERRA On Guard Protecting Throat Drops
- doTERRA On Guard Essential Oil Protective Blend
- Zicam Cold Remedy RapidMelts Quick Dissolve Tablets Plus Echinacea: Lemon-Lime
- Emergen-C 1,000 mg Vitamin C Powder, Super Orange
- Sambucol Black Elderberry Gummies
- Sambucol Cold & Flu Relief, Black Elderberry, Quick Dissolve Tablets
- Wedderspoon Organic Manuka Honey Drops Ginger with Echinacea
- Jakemans Confectioners Honey and Lemon Throat and Chest Drops
- Ricola Honey Lemon w/ Echinacea Cough Suppressant Throat Drop